One of the core features of WordPress is the blog. We have the ability to make announcements, blog posts, through our website to let the populace know of upcoming activities, recent changes, useful or educational information, and more. We still have to follow SCA policy, however, so I’ve summarized the relevant website policies here as well as made a list of the things you need to check on your draft before you publish a post.
For now, we are only opening up posting to officers, deputies, and guild leaders. That may change as our barony’s use of the website increases and changes.
Things to Remember
If there is any concern that specific material may be questionable, contact the Bryn Gwlad Webminister with questions.
- The primary goals of this website are to inform and educate people about Bryn Gwlad and to further the educational purposes of the SCA — if your post strays from those goals, consider using a different platform
- Articles that cause anger and divert people from study and recreation are not acceptable; don’t publish personal attacks
- Don’t publish content that furthers the aim of subgroups or factions within the Kingdom (this includes, but is not limited to, households)
Relevant Website Policies
Personal information (modern name, home/work address, phone numbers, personal email) must not be published on any SCA-recognized Internet site unless permission first is obtained from the specific individual in writing or in electronic format; an e-mail from the person giving permission is acceptable. The individual can revoke permission at any time. If publishing a personal email address, permission must come in an email from that address.
It is permissible to list a person’s Society name in connection with any office they hold without specific consent, i.e. – “Branch Seneschal: Lord Robert the Volunteer”; as well as official office e-mail addresses such as email@example.com
All editorial material, both text and images, must conform to the goals and objectives of the Society, and portray the Society and the Kingdom in a positive light. No content is exempt. While there is no way to anticipate all the types of material that may be objectionable; what follows is a representative list:
- Personal attacks on individuals or groups
- Harsh criticism of the behavior of individuals or groups
- Copyrighted material used without permission
- Use of racial or religious stereotypes
- Offensive words, phrases, or images
Making a Post
- If you don’t have an account on this site, contact the BG Webminister. You will need to provide the following information for the Webminister to provide you an account.
- Officer or Guild Role (ex. clothier’s guild principal, exchequer deputy, chronicler)
- Your personal email address (not an officer or baronial email address)
- Mundanely: First Initial
- Mundanely: Last Name
- The Webminister will grant you the “Contributor” Role
- Once you have an account, from your dashboard click “+ New” -> Post
- Write your post.
- Whenever possible, embed links in text, link to relevant website pages, link to relevant Facebook or discord groups. The Webminister can help you with this.
- IMPORTANT: Before you publish the post, check the following items in the “Document” tab:
- “Publish” — chose the date/time you want your post to be published
- “Author” — make sure this shows your user name or nickname
- “Categories” — Select ALL appropriate categories, these are used to display subsets of posts on officer/guild/committee pages; if you need a new category, let the Webminister know
- “Tags” — add any an all tags you feel are fitting; try to use existing tags, but make new ones if you need to
- (optional) “Featured Image” — If you want to add a featured image, you can. But, you must send all appropriate releases to the Webminister if you’re using intellectual property, artwork, or photographs
- (optional) “Excerpt” — You can write a short excerpt describing your post.
- Then select the big “Publish” or “Update” buttons to allow an administrator to review and publish your post.