Garb — historical clothing, shoes, headwear, accessories — is a HUGE part of the SCA. Our clothing helps us create the period atmosphere we strive for, and making clothes opens a door into human history.
Need to contact a Guild Leader? Email our Minister of Arts and Science to get in touch!
Now, during quarantine: The Clothiers Guild meets the fourth Thursday of the month virtually, using the Barony Discord. (See calendar for details.) Please note that I am personally following strict practices and will not be holding in-person meetings in my home, even if the Barony permits.
After quarantine: The Clothiers Guild meets the fourth Thursday of the month in Central Austin.
The “Bryn Gwlad Clothier’s Guild” Facebook group is a large and active group, where we ask and answer questions, show off projects we’re working on, and share links and resources.
The “clothiers” channel of the Barony Discord (located under CLOTHING/GARB/FIBER) is another online group, and Discord lends itself to active chat and sharing.
- Sign up for Zombie tournament (10/14/2021)
- Greetings Bryn Gwlad and Friends (8/4/2021)
- Garb – Constructing all the Things. Links that might help! (4/20/2021)
- Late-Period Construction, Some Examples (4/2/2021)
- Early-Period Clothing! A couple of articles and videos for your afternoon (3/1/2021)
- Period portraits to get a sense for clothing style by the decade 3000s BCE through 1790s CE, primarily European but so helpful: https://portraittimeline.com/
- For late period Europe, this site is focused on England but covers common items (the smock generator is great) and has so much info: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/
- And remember it’s not always about Europe – the Knowne World is much bigger – so here’s a cool Indian textile history site, where you can find dates and traditions for individual Indian states: https://strandofsilk.com/journey-map/ikat/introduction
- Also Austin Creative Reuse is a wonderful place to find items and cloth to use for garb or crafts