Garb — historical clothing, shoes, headwear, accessories — is a HUGE part of the SCA. Our clothing helps us create the period atmosphere we strive for, and making clothes opens a door into human history.
Need to contact a Guild Leader? Email our Minister of Arts and Science to get in touch!
Now, during quarantine: The Clothiers Guild meets the fourth Thursday of the month virtually, using the Barony Discord. (See calendar for details.) Please note that I am personally following strict practices and will not be holding in-person meetings in my home, even if the Barony permits.
After quarantine: The Clothiers Guild meets the fourth Thursday of the month in Central Austin.
The “Bryn Gwlad Clothier’s Guild” Facebook group is a large and active group, where we ask and answer questions, show off projects we’re working on, and share links and resources.
The “clothiers” channel of the Barony Discord (located under CLOTHING/GARB/FIBER) is another online group, and Discord lends itself to active chat and sharing.
- Garb – Constructing all the Things. Links that might help! (4/20/2021)
- Attaching Feathers to Hats – Join us to watch a Class! (4/5/2021)
- Late-Period Construction, Some Examples (4/2/2021)
- Tonight! Join the Clothier’s Guild in Discord (3/25/2021)
- Early-Period Clothing! A couple of articles and videos for your afternoon (3/1/2021)
- Join the Clothier’s Guild Tonight! (1/28/2021)
- Whats happening in Bryn Gwlad This Week? (1/4/2021)
- Tonight! Clothier’s Guild Meeting! (10/22/2020)
- Clothiers Guild Meeting — Tomorrow Night! (9/23/2020)
- Upcoming Activities in May! (5/19/2020)
Clothier's Guild (Virtual)
August 26, 2021 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Join the clothier's guild for an evening of socializing, demos, and more! The guild will be gathering via discord. Each week will have a different theme or topic.
Join our Discord server and introduce yourself:
Bryn Gwlad Discord Server
Want to see specific things in a meeting? Want to chat with other clothiers? Reach out via Discord or join the Clothier's Guild on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bgclothiers/
- Period portraits to get a sense for clothing style by the decade 3000s BCE through 1790s CE, primarily European but so helpful: https://portraittimeline.com/
- For late period Europe, this site is focused on England but covers common items (the smock generator is great) and has so much info: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/
- And remember it’s not always about Europe – the Knowne World is much bigger – so here’s a cool Indian textile history site, where you can find dates and traditions for individual Indian states: https://strandofsilk.com/journey-map/ikat/introduction
- Also Austin Creative Reuse is a wonderful place to find items and cloth to use for garb or crafts