Greetings Bryn Gwlad and Friends, Today we introduce to you
The Bryn Gwlad Bardic Guild
The purpose is to Highlight the guild and its leaders and show what it is all about.
Guild lead is Master Thomas of Tenby
The Bardic Guild is set up and run by populace from the Barony of Bryn Gwlad, for the Barony and its friends. It is a resource for beginning and continued help in all areas of the Bardic Arts in the medieval time frame of the SCA ~ from around 400AD to 1600AD. It is a place to ask and learn about the art of Bardic and receive instruction and support for all. Wether you are a Newcomer or seasoned old timer, there is always information and help for the asking.
Bardic Arts are far more encompassing than just singing around the fires late at night (although that is fun as well) and its a good start – The Bardic Arts also includes Poetry, Story Telling, Writing and so much more !
I am very excited to be able to interview Master Thomas of Tenby to see how he personally feels about the things offered and shared with the populace.
- How long have you been the lead for this Guild and why did you volunteer for this? A) I revived the Bryn Gwlad Bardic Guild about 13 years ago and started having meetings at the park when much of the Barony was also gathering for fighter practice. I also started holding meetings at the Austin Public Library. Rosa de Armanno succeeded me and she also started holding bardic meetings outdoors at the Vortex Theater. I succeeded Rosa when she moved to Ffynnon Gath about 3+ years ago and the guild started meeting less often. I acquired a Zoom license during COVID and we’ve been meeting monthly since then. Bardic is an important element of the SCA, like fighting, like feasting, like court, like all creative activities – for audiences and performers alike. It can also be very enjoyable. That’s why I volunteered to lead this guild. It has been said that Service is the lifeblood of our Society; leading a guild is one form of service.
- What kind of things do you think the Barony can gain from attending/joining this guild? A) The Bardic Guild offers a safe and friendly place for bards and their audiences to gather. It is also a great way for newcomers to learn the craft AND make friends. This is also true for more experienced members who wish to start learning about bardic. While we often perform for each other, we also share what we know with each other. Everyone is always welcome!
- Do you have to have any previous experience to be able to join in and get something from this guild? A) I first joined the Bryn Gwlad Bardic Guild when I was a newcomer decades ago and over the years guild leaders encouraged others. They taught by example. One of them, Branwen Scholastica, taught me Welsh Meter. Others taught me other forms of poetry or shared their ideas and friendship. I was also an early member of the Bryn Gwlad Players and later a member of the Baron’s Men. I learned from all of these experiences and wish to continue!
- What would you like to say / tell people to encourage them to join in? A). This is a fun group if you enjoy stories or songs. This is a good group if you like poetry or theater. It’s also a fun way to make friends. If you’re feeling shy, that’s okay! Join us anyway! (All of us were beginners at one time). We’re looking forward to meeting you.
- What do you have planned for the future ? a. 1 month – b. 6 month – c. 1 year –
A). We will continue meeting monthly via Zoom until the pandemic is over and it’s safe to meet in person again. Because of Zoom we are now able to welcome more people and have to be with bards from other baronies and shires – even other kingdoms! How cool is that?
6. Anything else you would like to add or say to the populace ?
Please see our Facebook page:
Also please contact me directly if you have any questions.
Life is Good!
Thomas of Tenby
Thank you Master Thomas for Enlightening us to the Bardic Guild of Bryn Gwlad !! I have totally enjoyed this interview and have learned so much and I hope YOU the Barony and friends see this as exciting as I do – if You haven’t decided to join in on this fun and learning – please check out the Guild page on the Bryn Gwlad website –
I personally have been popping in on the monthly Zooms meetings, and the learning and information is amazing !! Zero limitations ! Regardless of your physical state there is a place for you here !
Huzzah Bards Guild of Bryn Gwlad !
MoAS Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Sigrun de Birca