Did you grow up with swashbuckling stories and movies? Did you long to know what it meant to be, as Shakespeare called it, “the very butcher of a silk button”? Did you long to be a musketeer? Did you watch Game of Thrones, look in the mirror, and say “Not Today”? If so…
The Rapier Marshal is responsible for safety at all events and practices for rapier combat.
- Centurion Alaric Styrr, called Tuhtahl
- HL Nadja Ramthuner
- Master John Drake
- Mistress Gwenneth Bowynne
- Or Use the Officer Contact Form
- Term End:
- June 2022
- Tuesday Rundown – 13 October 2020 (10/13/2020)
- Tuesday Reminders! (10/6/2020)
- Are you excited?! Join us for Populace hangout tonight in Discord (9/29/2020)
- VPiP — Tuesday Training — NCA Video Available — Event Prep for You! (9/8/2020)
- PiP Tonight – Minecraft Challenge Begins – Rapier Drills (9/1/2020)
- Upcoming Activities in May! (5/19/2020)
- Virtual Combat Resources! (4/28/2020)
No events currently scheduled. But, don't worry. We'll add more soon!
Rapier combat within Ansteorra covers a great many activities. On the rapier field, you’ll be using steel weapons, predominantly against unarmored opponents. Rapier is a great way to learn about historical swordsmanship, from I.33 all the way to Capo Ferro and beyond. If period combat isn’t your thing, there’s plenty of room for swashbuckling of every stripe.
- Contact our local marshal. They will be able to give you details about upcoming practices, activities, and events
- Check out the upcoming rapier activities below!
- Check our calendar of upcoming activities and practices – if rapier is a part of that practice – then just show up!
- Most events include rapier combat as an activity, so come on out to a local event and watch the fun, and see if it’s something you might want to do.
In order to pursue our sport safely, there is equipment you will need to bring or borrow in order for you to participate.
- Equipment You Need to Bring
- closed-toed shoes
- long-sleeved and full length pants (or skirts) that you can move in; rapier combat requires that you have no exposed skin on your arms, legs, or body
- If you have male genitalia: you need to bring your own athletic cup and supporter. This is optional for persons with female genitalia.
- (recommended) bring water
- Loaner Gear We Can Provide Until you can acquire your own:
- Fencing masks
We have plenty of loaner gear, including swords, fencing masks, and protective gear. Loaner gear is great for letting you get a taste for the activity before you decide to invest in equipment of your own.
Most local groups have someone on hand that can show you the ropes – basic technique (footwork, defense, and attack) and basic fencing concepts. It’s a good idea to start with these basics, and focus on those fundamentals when you’re new.
If you are on Facebook, check out the Virtual Academy of the Rapier for live classes, demos, discussion, and more!
If you’re interested in period fencing, here are a few resources for you to investigate.
- Guy Windsor’s YouTube Channel (Rapier, Longsword, Arming Sword, Dagger, etc.)
- Puck and Mary Curtis’ Destreza Restoration Project (Spanish rapier system)
If the rapier isn’t your thing, but you’re still interested in fighting with steel, plenty of people practice longsword, arming sword, and other earlier period arts under the umbrella of Cut and Thrust combat. Come to our local activities, or reach out to us online, and we can connect you with the people who share your interests!